Why do Personal Trainers need CPD?
A personal trainer is a fitness professional who provides customised exercise and nutrition plans to help individuals achieve their health and fitness goals. They help their clients achieve their fitness goals by designing workout plans, providing instruction and guidance on proper exercise techniques, and offering motivation and accountability to stay on track. They may also provide advice on nutrition and lifestyle habits to support overall health and wellness.
To become a personal trainer, you typically need to complete a Level 3 Diploma in Fitness Instructing and Personal Training. Additionally, many employers may require you to hold a first aid certificate and have public liability insurance. Personal trainers in the UK must abide by the laws and regulations set out by the CIMSPA’s Exercise and Fitness Directory and comply with health and safety legislation. They must also ensure that their clients give informed consent before starting any exercise programme and maintain client confidentiality.
CPD courses most suited to Personal Trainers
PUWER Awareness£20 + VAT View course
Anaphylaxis Awareness£20 + VAT View course
Confined Spaces£20 + VAT View course
Violence at Work£20 + VAT View course
COSHH Awareness£20 + VAT View course
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)£20 + VAT View course
DSE Assessor Training£20 + VAT View course
PAT Testing Awareness£20 + VAT View course
HACCP Level 2£20 + VAT View course
Fire Warden£20 + VAT View course
HAVS (Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome) Training£20 + VAT View course
Working at height£20 + VAT View course
Welding Awareness£20 + VAT View course
Workplace First Aid£20 + VAT View course
Lone Working£20 + VAT View course
Personal Trainers us
Felt very comfortable and at ease with CPD Online College. The way the courses are set out is excellent, especially for a person like me who finished school at 16years of age 30 years ago and never studied since. The staff are very helpful. Thanks.
Customer Service Skills
Helped me gain more insight into food groups. Will help me with my personal training.
Nutrition and Healthy Eating
I found the course very interesting and informative and did it at my own pace. It only took me a few hours and I now have a certificate that is going to be helpful with employers.
Slips, Trips and Falls
What CPD courses do Personal Trainers need?
There are a lot of courses that are well suited to a personal trainer because they work with such a wide range of people. They must provide great customer service whilst also providing exercise and diet advice, as well as keeping people safe.
Some of our popular courses for personal trainers include:
- Customer Service Skills – As a personal trainer works in a customer-facing role, this course will help you gain a greater understanding of how to anticipate reactions and expectations from customers. You will learn the best techniques to stay calm and professional when dealing with difficult and tricky customers.
- Depression Awareness – Exercise is one of the best methods to help combat depression so you may find that you work with people with depression in your role. You will learn awareness of the condition, gain wider knowledge, and understand the feelings experienced by the depressed individual.
- Diabetes Awareness – As personal trainers often develop meal plans for their clients, it is important to have an awareness of diabetes. This course will enable you to improve your understanding of diabetes and raise awareness of the condition. This will include what diabetes is, the two types of diabetes, how diabetes is managed and the complications that can arise from diabetes. You will also learn how those living with diabetes can be supported.
- Disability Awareness – In this course you will gain a greater insight into what a disability is, the different types of disabilities and how to ensure workplaces make reasonable adjustments for people with disabilities. You will gain awareness regarding the multiple difficulties faced by those with disabilities, and how to approach this.
- Equality and Diversity – This course helps to reduce the occurrence of discrimination and to make sure everyone from any walk of life is treated equally and fairly.
- LGBTQ+ Awareness – In this course you will learn the importance of language and terminology in relation to minority groups and how the ways in which people are referred to and portrayed can have a significant impact on how they are perceived in society. You will learn whilst there are some similarities between bullying and harassment, the two are different, particularly when it comes to legalities.
- Nutrition and Healthy Eating – In this course you will explore BMI groups, obesity and hydration, as well as how to create healthy, well-balanced menus. You will also learn more about carbohydrates, fats and proteins and the vitamins and minerals required for the body to function well.
- Slips, Trips and Falls – This course covers everything that you need to know about keeping yourself and others safe when working in conditions where there is the possibility of slips, trips and falls.
- Workplace First Aid – This course will teach you how to treat injuries that may occur in the workplace, as well as some of the common illnesses that workers may experience, what the signs and symptoms of each are and how to treat them. Our First Aid training also covers how you should keep records of any incidents that take place in the workplace.
A guide to CPD for Personal Trainers
A personal trainer needs a combination of skills, knowledge and qualities to be effective. These include in-depth knowledge of sports exercise science, anatomy and physiology, as well as the ability to create customised workout plans and motivate clients. Additionally, excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential. This is because of the high level of person-centred service that is required for the role. A personal trainer must have qualities including empathy, patience and the ability to adapt to different learning styles and fitness levels. A commitment to continuing professional development can help personal trainers to achieve all of the above, as well as progress in their careers.
A CPD certificate certifies that you have successfully completed the learning included in the course and are more competent in that subject area. All CPD Online College courses result in people receiving a certificate after they have successfully completed their chosen course. This is the case for all of our courses no matter what sector. You will receive your course electronically when you have completed your course, where you can download it straight to your files on your computer to keep it safe. You can also print this out or, alternatively, we can send a hard copy to you.
Logging CPD hours
There are no time limits on our CPD courses so you can spend as much time as you need to on them; completing them flexibly in your own home or where you prefer to work best. Although there is no time limit when you are working through your course, we advise that you log the time that you spend on your course to create a log of CPD hours. Some regulators or employers require a target number of hours to be spent on CPD training so keeping a log as you go along makes it easier for you to keep track.
Keeping CPD evidence
Your CPD certificate and logged CPD hours can form part of your overall CPD evidence. As well as this, other types of CPD training can form part of CPD evidence such as:
- Research conducted independently.
- Tutorial videos.
- Shadowing other colleagues.
- Listening to podcasts.
- Attending industry conferences.
You can create an electronic portfolio of all of your CPD evidence so that it doesn’t get lost. You can simply save or note the title of the pieces of reading that you have done, record any webinars or conferences attended, ask a colleague to record the job shadowing completed, and record the name of the podcast that you have listened to. As well as this, note down the time you spend on these tasks to add to your log of CPD hours.
Renewing CPD certificates
As with every industry, laws and regulations continuously change as we learn better ways of doing things. This is why CPD is continuous. However, it means that the CPD course that you complete with us will not be valid forever. To keep up to date with industry knowledge, laws and trends, we advise you to renew your CPD certificate with us every two years. This can be done easily by completing a refresher of your chosen course, or even completing a higher level of your course subject to further expand your knowledge and skills.