Why do Restaurant Owners need CPD?
A restaurant owner is a person who owns and operates a restaurant. They are responsible for managing all aspects of the restaurant, including hiring and training staff, creating menus, ordering supplies, hygiene, health and safety standards, and ensuring that the restaurant is profitable. It is crucial for restaurant owners to maintain the cleanliness and safety of the establishment, as well as adhere to all health and safety regulations to keep their staff and customers safe.
To be a successful restaurant owner it is important to have a range of skills. Strong leadership abilities are essential to motivate and guide your team, coupled with good communication skills to connect with customers, suppliers and employees. Financial management skills are critical to managing cash flow, budgeting and creating financial projections, whilst marketing and sales skills are also important to attract and retain customers. Finally, the ability to adapt to changing circumstances and make decisions quickly is crucial in the fast-paced world of owning a business. This is all on top of a passion for food and adhering to all the relevant laws relating to the restaurant industry.
CPD courses most suited to Restaurant Owners
COVID-19 Awareness£5 + VAT View course
Food Labelling Regulations Training£20 + VAT View course
Allergen Awareness£20 + VAT View course
Anaphylaxis Awareness£20 + VAT View course
Food Safety and Hygiene for Retail Level 2£20 + VAT View course
Improving your Food Hygiene Rating£20 + VAT View course
Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering Level 1£15 + VAT View course
Food Safety and Hygiene in Care£20 + VAT View course
Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering Level 2£20 + VAT View course
Food Safety and Hygiene in Schools£20 + VAT View course
HACCP Level 2£20 + VAT View course
HACCP Level 3£49 + VAT View course
Food Safety and Hygiene for Manufacturing Level 2£20 + VAT View course
Nutrition and Healthy Eating£20 + VAT View course
Food Safety for Catering Level 3£79 + VAT View course
Restaurant Owners us
Perfect course for me as I just needed to update certificate. Easy to follow and instructions were very clear. Thanks got my certificate I need for another job.
Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering Level 2
This course provides a lot if information on the different regulations etc. and makes you a lot more aware of the water system within your premises and the world around you. I knew very little about Legionnaires Disease and this course provided a great deal about risk assessments, potential sources, control measures, precautions etc.
Legionella and Legionnaires’ Disease Awareness
Interesting and necessary information for anyone working with food.
Estelle Donna Allen
What CPD courses do Restaurant Owners need?
Being a restaurant owner requires awareness and knowledge of many different aspects of food preparation and storage, health and safety, and business management. At CPD Online College, we have a range of courses that can help you in your role.
Some of these courses include:
- Allergen Awareness – this course is designed to give the necessary knowledge of allergies and intolerances for food handlers. This knowledge is used to reduce contamination and keep customers safe from any allergens they are allergic to.
- Complaints Handling – this course will ensure you gain new knowledge on handling complaints in the correct way to impact your restaurant in a positive way. It will reduce the risk of lost custom and give you a greater insight into how you can handle complaints and reduce the number you receive.
- Customer Service Skills – this course is suitable for anyone working in a customer-facing role who wishes to strengthen their existing customer service skills. This course will equip you with the skills and knowledge that you need to provide excellent customer service but also with the information you need to know regarding handling complaints.
- Fire Safety Awareness – in a restaurant there are, understandably, significant risks of fire with the numerous cooking appliances in the professional kitchen. Due to this, fire awareness training is crucial, and this course gives a great understanding of how to reduce the risk posed by fire in the workplace.
- Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering Level 2 – completing this course is the perfect way to prove your knowledge of food safety and hygiene. The certificate achieved is fully registered with the CPD Certification Service and shows your understanding of food safety procedures. Anyone that handles food within their job role is required by law to have undergone this food safety training.
- HACCP Level 2 – HACCP is a vital part of a food safety management system (FSMS) and all food businesses must have a management system in place by law. In our course you will learn that Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point involves a preventive approach to food safety. It looks at the different hazards that could affect food production processes and how these can be controlled and managed to prevent illness and injury to customers.
- Improving your Food Hygiene Rating – this course will help you to understand more about the food hygiene rating scheme. You will look at food handling, preparation, storage, transportation, handwashing and personal hygiene, food hygiene and safety, structure, cleaning and food safety management and how these areas contribute to the total score and overall food hygiene rating. You will also learn what Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) will look for during an inspection.
- Legionella and Legionnaires’ Disease Awareness – this course will highlight everything you as a duty holder need to know about Legionella. You will learn how to control and prevent the risk of Legionella entering your workplace and will gain a greater knowledge of the legislation that is applicable.
A guide to CPD for Restaurant Owners
With the right resources, anybody can become a restaurant owner. However, training in cooking, business management, finance and customer service can be a huge benefit. Restaurant owners have a lot of responsibility which can be overwhelming without any prior experience or knowledge. It can be beneficial to have experience working in the food service industry, either as a server, chef or manager. Additionally, knowledge of food safety regulations and licensing requirements is important to ensure that you are running a restaurant safely and adhering to legislation. Some aspiring restaurant owners choose to enrol in cooking school or hospitality programmes to gain the necessary skills and knowledge. However, there are other training methods that can help you to upskill, such as Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
CPD is the process of lifelong learning and development that professionals undertake to enhance their skills and knowledge in their respective fields. CPD can include activities such as attending training courses, conferences and seminars, as well as self-directed learning such as reading industry publications or participating in online courses. This can help you stay up to date with the latest knowledge and trends in your industry and be competent to perform highly to run a successful restaurant.
All of our CPD courses are of a professional standard, meeting industry regulation requirements. When you have successfully completed any of our online courses you will have access to your CPD certificate immediately. This is an important document that you should keep safe as it will signify the work that you have undertaken to become more competent in your chosen subject area. You can download your CPD certificate directly from our website where we advise our students to save electronically in a safe place on your computer. Alternatively, you can print off a hard copy to store in a physical folder, or we can send you a hard copy in the post.
Logging CPD hours
The time that you spend on your CPD is also a form of CPD in itself. This is called your logged hours of CPD. To form a log of your CPD, you can simply keep a running total of the time that you spend working through your CPD activities (such as timing when you work on your online course). You can keep a diary of the total time that you spend working through your CPD to showcase to industry regulators when required. This may come in especially useful when undergoing inspections from Environmental Health Officers.
Your CPD certificate, logged hours of CPD, and any other pieces of CPD that you complete can form part of your CPD evidence. This proves that you have taken time to improve your knowledge of your industry. You should keep evidence of any CPD training that you undertake to easily refer back to. We advise our students to create a hard copy, or digital portfolio, of evidence to stay organised in this area.
Renewing CPD certificates
In the restaurant industry it is important to stay abreast of the latest legislative changes as they can have a large impact on the health and safety of your staff and customers. Not having the correct knowledge can result in hefty fines as a result of legislative breaches. To help you keep on top of this we advise you to renew your CPD certificate every two years to ensure that you are working to the most up-to-date knowledge.