Why do Bakers need CPD?
The UK bakery market is worth a staggering £4.4 billion which is one of the largest in the UK food industry. Baked goods are a staple in almost all UK households. Plus, with shows such as the Great British Bake Off being a renowned hit for the majority of the UK population, the baking profession has seen a rise of up to 230% to year 2021. This was calculated by using the increase in home baking insurance policies that have been issued.
When you think about baking, insurance isn’t often the first thing that comes to mind, but there are many responsibilities that come with being a baker (with insurance being just one of them). As with all professions, rules and regulations are ever changing in our evolving society. That is why CPD is so important.
CPD stands for Continuing Professional Development and is required to stay up to date with rules, regulations and best practices in your industry. CPD training is the process of acquiring new skills, knowledge and experience to help you stay up to date and ahead in your chosen field. A range of activities can be classed as CPD training such as attending industry conferences, taking courses, participating in webinars, e-learning, reading books, and engaging with mentors. It helps you to stay abreast of best practices, innovations and trends in your field, so you can remain competitive and relevant.
Continuing Professional Development keeps bakers up to date on the latest trends and techniques, enabling them to produce the highest quality products and remain a top choice for customers. Additionally, it helps bakers stay ahead of food safety regulations and best practices which are ever evolving in society. This ensures that products meet the highest standards of quality and safety which is extremely important for customers, especially those with food allergies and intolerance. Bakers also have strict food hygiene standards to adhere to which can all be learned through CPD training.
CPD courses most suited to Bakers
Anaphylaxis Awareness£20 + VAT View course
HACCP Level 2£20 + VAT View course
Food Safety and Hygiene in Care£20 + VAT View course
Food Safety for Catering Level 3£79 + VAT View course
Food Safety and Hygiene for Retail Level 2£20 + VAT View course
Allergen Awareness£20 + VAT View course
HACCP Level 3£49 + VAT View course
Food Safety and Hygiene for Manufacturing Level 2£20 + VAT View course
Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering Level 2£20 + VAT View course
Hospitality settings us
Content of the course was very thorough and easy to read. The course had great little quizzes at the end of each section to ensure you had taken in the information in the section.
Food Safety for Catering Level 3
Perfect course for me as I just needed to update certificate. Easy to follow and instructions were very clear. Thanks got my certificate I need for another job.
Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering Level 2
The Allergen Awareness course was great. It was very comprehensive. I feel confident that I am now fully conversant with the subject.
Safeguarding Children Level 2
What CPD courses do Bakers need?
In the UK, bakers need to comply with a number of different regulations and pieces of legislation. These include:
- The Food Safety Act 1990 – this covers all aspects of food health and safety.
- Food Hygiene (England) Regulations 2006 – this sets out the requirements for food safety and hygiene.
- The General Food Regulations 2004 – this requires bakers to accurately label their products.
- Allergen Information Regulations 2014 – this requires bakers to include allergen information on the labels of foods they sell.
- Weights and Measures Act 1985 – this requires bakers to accurately measure and label the weights of the products they sell.
The list above is just some of the regulations that bakers must meet. Legislation is ever changing, and CPD can help bakers to keep abreast of it.
Some CPD Online College courses we provide that can suit a baker include:
- Allergen Awareness – This provides knowledge on allergies and intolerance as these have life-changing impacts on customers. This course can help bakers understand food allergens and how to avoid cross-contamination.
- Food Safety and Hygiene for Catering – This course teaches best practices when working in the catering industry and helps bakers to meet UK regulations. The course has been approved by the Institute of Hospitality (the largest body for people working in hospitality). It also has approval from Environmental Health Officers, and local authorities, and covers all relevant legislation.
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point – This course provides a preventative approach to food safety to prevent illness and injury to customers. It highlights what can potentially go wrong in the kitchen and how to mitigate this. It is a requirement for all bakers to have policies on food safety management and this course can introduce these to you.
- Improving your Food Hygiene Rating – This course explains the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme and what Environmental Health Officers look for during an inspection. It covers your rights following inspection and how to get your rating improved.
A guide to CPD for Bakers
With CPD Online College, all of our courses can be accessed online which makes them a great choice to fit in around busy lifestyles and work hours. To access a course from our website you simply log in to your online portal where you will find your purchased online courses. From here you can work through your course. There is no time limit on CPD Online College courses so you can learn at your own pace and location of choice. You can work flexibly whilst also having access to staff at CPD Online College who can assist you should you need any support.
Our courses consist of learning and reading materials followed by a quiz to test your knowledge. It is a requirement to pass the quiz to complete the course. Upon passing the quiz you will have immediate access to your certificate certifying that you have successfully completed the course. You can simply download your certificate from our website as a PDF.
CPD Online College certificates are professional and fully regulated. You can use them for evidence that you have completed some CPD training for your industry. This can be particularly useful when proving how you meet certain regulations and requirements (such as to an Environmental Health Officer during an inspection).
Once you have completed your course, your certificate will be available on CPD Online College to download at any time. We advise downloading it, and saving it to your computer, or emailing your certificate to your employer. If you prefer, you can print off your downloaded certificate and keep it in a folder as a hard copy. CPD Online College can also send a hard copy of your certificate in the post to you.
Logging CPD hours
You can log your CPD hours by keeping a record of the activities you do that relate to your Continuing Professional Development. This can include courses and attending conferences and workshops. Additionally, you should also keep track of any reading or research you do, as well as any networking activities you take part in. Keeping a record of your CPD activities will help you to demonstrate that you are staying up to date with the latest baking industry developments and trends.
Keeping evidence of CPD can be done in a few different ways. The most important thing is to make sure you keep accurate records of all of your CPD activities. You can keep a log of the CPD activities you complete and the dates of when you completed them. You can also save certificates of completion, copies of any relevant materials, and other forms of evidence such as emails, presentations and webinars. Additionally, you can keep track of your CPD activities by using a CPD plan or journal. This will help you to keep organised and easily reference any activities you have completed. We advise that you keep your records and evidence in a safe and secure place to easily refer back to.
Renewing CPD certificates
Often your completed certificates should be renewed every two years. Renewing CPD certificates in the baking industry can be done in a variety of ways. Depending on the type of certificate, you may be able to renew it online by doing a refresher course. At CPD Online College, we provide additional courses and higher-level courses for you to stay up to date with the latest knowledge and skills and build your career. It is important to keep track of when your certificates will expire so you can make sure you renew your certifications in a timely manner.